Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Importance of Units

"So if you go down 5th at 25 you'll only need to stop two, maybe three times before you get home"

David's parting words as we left the park after our morning ride.

Well so I put it into practice. On 46 x16 25mph's pretty much by top speed before my legs fly off but David and I rode at a similar speed so it was achievable. I span up to speed and as if by magic the lights turned green in a wave down 5th for me only going red at 52nd. So far so good; OK pulse was racing, I couldn't breathe and I was drenched in sweat but the theory was working so far.

Lights go green and I speed up again, a little harder this time but I manage to settle at about a steady 24mph. OK I made that it up, there was no way that I could focus but it seemed about right. Another 20 blocks or so and I was home without another red light.

So the theory worked! In fact I'd beaten the theory, I only stopped once. It was only when I was packing my lungs back into my chest that I remembered an important fact. David's computer was set to kilometers.

No comments:

Post a Comment