Monday, August 10, 2009

Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues

The city that never sleeps is surprisingly quiet at 630 am, the only cars are cops' or cabs. As I'd have plenty of time for hills later I took the flatter path by the river up to the George Washington Bridge rather than face the hills of Harlem.






















Manhattan from George Washington bridge:






















Once over the bridge and into New Jersey I followed 9W to Nyack. Despite being a highway there's a broad hard shoulder that's mostly debris free. even without that the drivers are mostly patient with the exception of a few who would sound their horn on sight of a cyclist even on the 4 lane roads. Perhaps they were just trying to warn me that they were very bad drivers :). I'm fairly familiar with this route as it's my 'Escape from New York' run so was able crack on at a fair pace.

Nyack at 30 miles saw the first stop of the day at the Runcible Spoon, the best muffins I've had and really well set up for cyclists with racks, pumps to borrow and water coolers to top up bottles from.

The leg from Nyack to Harriman on Highway 59 State Park was a drag; the worse overall road surface, too many traffic lights which would turn green the moment I unclipped. I had my only visitation of the day on that part aptly just outside the village of Suffren. Worryingly I couldn't find the cause but the spare stayed up for the ride and is still fine now so I'll chalk that down to experience.

The most memorable sights along here were a group of (I assume) Orthodox Jews walking along the side of the highway in synagogue wear including some form of bearskin hat in the 70 degree heat and groups of migrant workers waiting at the pick up points for day work opposite the Ferrari garage. The road got more motorway like as I climbed to the park. At one point I thought I'd got lost as the road gained a concrete central reservation but a quick check on the GPS showed that I was on track and I soon rolled into the park.

At the welcome centre I took the opportunity to stop an SUV and borrow a pump from a group of riders from New Jersey who'd just finished their ride.

"Where've you come from?" one of them asked

"Manhattan" I replied

"But where's your car?"

"England"

"So you've ridden all the way?"

Once they realised the length of my ride they brought out food just to make sure that I would be OK.

Harriman State Park was a welcome relief from the turmoil of the highway. I rode along Seven Lakes Drive, passing, unsurprisingly some lakes.

Nice smooth roads, a few cyclists, runners and walkers and most of all fresh air and peace and quiet. The ride through the park is a gentle climb through the forest past the various lakes with a couple of minor descents but all on nice wide smooth roads. Quiet enough to see a beaver by the side of the road, but was going too fast to get my camera.












































The road continues to climb gently until Perkins Drive - the only downside of this section being having to cross a busy interstate and ride along for a quarter of a mile before getting into Bear Mountain State Park. Perkins Drive (at about mile 58 on the plot below) is where it gets steep and I had my one 'clipless moment'. Slowing to take a breather I didn't unclip in time and ended up in a heap below my bike on the verge, fortunately unhurt. The two motor cycles following stopped to make sure that I was OK which was a friendly touch.

This was the steepest I think I've done, certainly on single-speed, and was the only moment where I was tempted to get off and walk when a rider on a geared bike drifter past and shouted "One gear, way to go!" which gave me the motivation that I needed to press on. I ground my way up to the summit at, according to the eTrex 1302ft, at a snail's pace but finally made it and with a far greater sense of achievement than anyone who had driven up. Some great views from the top:






















The visibility was great, I could see Manhattan although it doesn't really come out in the photo (it's just to the right of the second smaller 'vee' in the middle ridge, but you'll have to probably trust me on that :)).






















Bear Mountain Bridge and the Hudson Valley

From the top a nice fast winding descent to the Hudson and then following the river back to Nyack for another visit to the Runcible Spoon, onto the George Washington Bridge and home. This was where the tiredness showed I was having to rest on climbs that I'd normally easily glide up but I made it home.

Overall I great day out, I managed to remember to eat and avoided bonking, saw some great scenery and discovered that once you get out of New York the riders are a lot more friendly.

Finally, some 'encouragement' that I received from the first rider I spoke to during the day on the way to Nyack:

"You're not going up Bear Mountain on that?" he asked

"Yes"

"But I thought it was single-speed?"

"It is"

And he mumbled something about being on a shorter ride rode away as if I was contagious ???

Well if you're reading - I made it, Bear Mountain's just another hill. :)

Stats

Distance: 115 miles
Time Taken: 10 hours
Rolling Average: 14.9 mph
Max Speed: 41 mph
Climbing: 5131 ft
Roadkill: Deer, raccoon, rat, squirrel, unidentifiable bird

Route




























Profile



No comments:

Post a Comment